Monday, October 24, 2005

Penang!

I dare not step on the weighing scale.
It's been non-stop eating for the past 3 days.

The trip started innocently enoughly when D, his granny and I drove off to Penang at 7am.

Then we thought we might as well stop in Ipoh for breakfast (on the way wat). We had dimsum at this shop called Yoke Woh Onn or something like that, near Excelsior Hotel. It was so yummy. The prawns were huge, and the morsels of meat, tasty and juicy. Much cheaper than KL prices I might add.

Before this, the furtherst I'd driven my car was to Ipoh. So driving to Penang was new to me. I had to be super alert! I downed some Ipoh White Coffee and we went on our way.

When we arrived at D's aunt's place, we rested abit before our main agenda: pigging out!

We had pasembor, a Penang salad of shredded radish, cucumber, bean sprouts, prawn fritters, egg and peanut sauce, curry laksa, noodles in spicy, coconut curry, pig's blood jelly (I passed on this), chicken, tofu and long beans, char koay teow, fried flat rice noodles with duck egg, prawns, chives, cockles, garlic and chilli, and popiah, soft spring rolls with radish stew and dried cuttlefish stuffing. Really good stuff. Then we went around hunting for cheap DVDs (RM7 a pop, compared to RM10 in KL).

The next day we had a breakfast of koay chap, a twisty flat noodle in a dark earthy soup, with duck meat and some pig innards. This, is a rare find, even in Penang. And definitely not available in KL. I finished every drop of soup.

We also had ban chien kuih, a thick pancake with peanut and sugar filling, some local kuih (sweet pudding-like things), apom (a thin crispy coconutty crepe) and sugee cake. It was also Mak Ee's (D's aunt, Cheryl's mom) birthday, so there were lots of birthday cake in the house.





For her birthday dinner, we went to the Beach Front, at Batu Feringghi. The place served the best deep fried spring rolls I'd ever tasted. It's so good, they don't allow take-aways for fear of people copying their recipe.

It came in generous portions. Crispy on the outside, flavourful on the inside - finely shredded cabbage, radish, carrot, onion, shallots, crabmeat, mushroom, chicken mince, a hint 5-spice powder and goodness knows what else!

Other stuff we had were assam prawns, sambal belacan veges, seafood tofu and a fish curry. Pak Teow (D's uncle) and I washed them all down with icy cold beer in frosted mugs and toasted to Mak Ee's good health.

Oh my, oh my *rubs belly*.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home