Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Almost obsessive

Look what I bought last week.



It's NOT a Kitchen Aid...


(Oooh, the red one is such a beauty)

...which is what many famous chefs and hardcore food bloggers) use. But hey, at one tenth of the price of a KA, I'll have to make do.

My less glamourous mixer is a local make (Faber) with a stainless steel bowl, handle and a black plastic body. It's quite sturdy, and for the price I paid (RM129.90), I'm not complaining.

I only started building up my arsenal of baking tools early last year, when I started baking again. It's still a small (pfft!) collection, and I currently have:

- A 9" springform round non-stick pan
- A 9" square non-stick cake pan
- A deep loaf tin
- A 9" ceramic pie dish
- A 12" aluminium round cake pan
- A 6-hole muffin tray (large muffins)
- Stainless steel measuring spoons
- Plastic measuring cups
- A pineapple tart mould
- Icing pipes & bag
- Plastic mixing bowls in 3 sizes
- Multi-graters
- A balloon hand-whisk

What I plan to add on in the near future:
- A 12-hole muffin tray (smaller muffins)
- Biscuit / cookie cutters
- Ramekins (for chocolate volcanoes!)
- Individual tart moulds
- A rolling pin (yes, I don't have one)
- Pie weights (to blind bake pies)
- A Bundt, Ring and a Tube pan (for chiffon cake)

Anyway, back to the mixer. I officiated it by baking an alcoholic rummy fruit cake. Which is now nicely wrapped and sitting in the fridge (they say it tastes better after a little wait). So I dunno how it turned out. May cut a bit to try this weekend. Heh.

It's my brother's birthday next week. So another cake is in the making. He loves Cherry Ripe, a glace cherry and coconut chocolate bar, so I'll try to improvise a chocolate cake with cherries and coconut for him. Experiment lah, see apa jadi.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking for a mixer and was surfing aimlessly.. till i found yr blog. Read quite abit and found it REALLY interesting..
I mean i dunno you at all but i just got so engrossed reading your blog!!

Anyways, I'd like to know if the mixer you have (Faber), is it good? I'm planning to get it sometime this week.. hoping you can enlighten me.. =)
thanks.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Faber is quite OK but i found the whisks get rusty quite easily so must wipe dry properly after each use. If you intend to do ALOT of baking, I suggest you invest more money in something better - a Kenwood or something :)

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! I shall do that..

umm, just wondering.. you go to CKK on Sundays?

3:08 PM  
Blogger Wandernut said...

I go to SFX.
But I haven't been going for mass lately. Hee hee.

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, me too! i'll be there this sunday (every sun infact) 8.30..

i just got so addicted reading yr blog..(if i may =P )

you are so FULL OF LIFE!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Full of life? Hahahaha :)
Thanks. I try to make the most of it. Hope my blog will inspire you (and anyone) to make the most of your life too! Do what makes you happy :)

When I go to SFX, I go for 830 mass too. 1130 is too hot and stuffy.

You're most welcome to read my blog. This is just my food blog. I also blog on wandernut.blogspot.com

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, they're quite inspiring.. And that's what i love about your blog, you can do what you like/want that makes you happy.. and the people around you!

And it amazes me that you have so much time to do so many things!!?! - all the things that you enjoy!

I hope to see you in sfx someday =)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Wandernut said...

Time?
Oh, I actually don't have a lot of time. I sometimes try to do too much at once and tire myself out.

I've slowed down quite a bit.
This post was written about 2 years ago.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

..actually i've read some of your latest blogs..they're all very interesting..

unfortunately i won't be able to make it for mass coming sunday.. Or it would be nice to meet up with you one of the evenings over a cuppa coffee =)

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have finally bought my first-ever cake mixer.. the same one that you have - Faber. I must say i'm quite happy with it.. already baked 2 cakes. Am still an amateur in baking but am so looking forward to do more bakings in the coming days.

Read that you've been posted to Shanghai.. must be really exciting for you. Well, have a wonderful time there..

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home